It is important to remember that Unemployment Cover will only likely cover you if:
- You are made redundant through no fault of your own
- You weren’t aware of your redundancy at the time of taking out the policy
- You register with your local job centre as unemployed
- You submit a successful claim to your provider
Assuming your claim is successful, the insurer will start paying you the agreed monthly benefit to replace your lost income up until you either return to work or reach the maximum benefit period for your plan which you will select at the start of the policy.
It is important to note that Unemployment Cover is not likely to cover you if:
- You resigned or became voluntarily unemployed
- You chose to take a career break or sabbatical
- You became unemployed due to your own misconduct, fraud or dishonesty
- Your unemployment is because of any industrial action
For the reasons above, we don’t normally recommend Unemployment Cover to the Self-Employed or Company Directors because they are technically employed by themselves, and therefore unable to claim for unemployment.